Earnin Cash Back Rewards works with MasterCard and American Express debit and credit cards (Visa coming soon!). In order to receive cash back, the transaction must be processed “as credit” by the card networks.
You’ll know you’re processing a transaction “as credit” if you are asked to sign / do not have to enter your PIN #. If you enter your PIN #, it is a debit transaction.
Here are a few pointers for running your debit card as credit:
- Credit transactions ask you to sign vs. Debit transactions use your PIN #
- At the point of sale machine, select the “credit” button (even if you are using your debit card)
- If the cashier asks debit or credit, request credit (even if you are using your debit card)
- Running as credit does *NOT* impact your credit score.
- Running as credit protects your PIN #
- Running as credit often provides better chargeback protection in the case of fraud
- Running as credit sometimes takes longer to post in your checking account, so make sure to check if the transaction shows up immediately or not.
As a reminder: to receive Earnin Cash Back Rewards on your debit card, run each debit card transaction as credit. When running the transaction as credit, you will be prompted to sign for the purchase instead of entering your PIN. (Note: If you use your PIN, the transaction is processed directly by your bank, meaning that Earnin cannot see the transaction and provide your reward.)